The Embassy of the United States of America in
Nigeria on Friday disowned a message that has gone
viral in the social media, alerting citizens to an
imminent attack by the Boko Haram sect in Abuja.
The Embassy’s Counselor for Public Affairs, Victoria
Sloan, made the denial while speaking at a three-day
retreat organised for State House correspondents in
The message as being circulated claimed that
American envoy had alerted citizens that three bomb-
laden cars had been parked in different locations in
Abuja but was unsure who could be targeted by the
The message read, “Please, stay safe especially those
in Abuja. I Just got this now from a friend and see no
harm in sharing:
“For those who stay in Abuja or those who have
relatives there, please read this:
“American ambassador called and emailed all
Americans to tell them to stay indoors, three cars in
Abuja loaded with bombs planted in different areas.
We are yet to know their targets. Pass the message
But Sloan said there was no truth in the message.
She explained that if the Embassy has stumbled on
such intelligence, it would have posted it on its
She therefore urged the media to help to refute the
She said, “The ambassador did not send the
message, the mission or the US government did not
send the message.
“When we observe something, we check and put on
the consular internet.
“Help to refute it and let your readership, listenership
know it’s not true.”